September 22, 2012

Random Shots of Beauty

What my running has lacked in quantity lately - and believe me - there's a lot lacking - it has more than made up in quality; case in point is this weekend's Random Shot of Beauty:

A scene from a sunset 5-miler I took with my 11-year old daughter in Point Lobos State Reserve this week.  It occurs to me that I've never done a photo tour of this area, which is one of the most spectacular in all of  the Monterey Peninsula.  Perhaps some day I will ... but in the meantime, to make up for the past few weekends of Internet silence, here are some bonus shots from the same run.

Low mileage, beautiful scenery, and magic moments with my daughter - this is the kind of training I could really get used to.

Get updates as soon as they're posted! Click here to subscribe to Running and Rambling.
Check out the Running Life book for a collection of our most popular columns.

Karen 9/22/12, 8:04 PM

These photos are beautiful!! :)

Jeff Gallup 9/23/12, 6:28 PM

Awesome! We spent time there in July during our CA road trip.. so beautiful there.. and the whole time I was thinking "what a cool place for a run!"

Scott,  9/24/12, 2:46 PM

I'm heading to Carmel for a wedding in a few weeks...any runs you'd recommend? It looks like about 8 miles round trip from our Carmel hotel to Point Lobos, which sounds fun. The hotel is closer to Pebble Beach to the north...can you access that on foot?

Scott,  9/24/12, 2:51 PM

Just found this: http://www.runningandrambling.com/2012/05/backyard-adventures-pebble-beach-del.html

How likely am I to get lost? Any maps around?

Donald 9/24/12, 9:24 PM

@Scott: You're VERY likely to get lost, and there aren't a lot of PB maps to be found ... sorry. They sometimes have rudimentary maps at the gate house entrances to Pebble Beach, and the equestrian center might have some, but you have to drive into PB to ask.

If you're looking to keep it simple but spectacular, you're definitely better off driving down the coast and parking outside the gates to Point Lobos. It's pretty much impossible to get lost out there.

Happy trails!

Scott,  9/25/12, 1:12 PM

Many thanks! Love the blog. Would love to hear more about your training regimen, especially how you balance everything (I'm a new dad...it's a lot tougher now).

Ed 9/26/12, 11:32 AM