July 13, 2009

Something Like That

Although I’m moving forward with the blog, there are bound to be occasional backwards glances at Western States over the next several weeks – one of which is the subject of today’s post …

Actual exchange between me and the massage therapist that my awesome wife hooked me up with two days after my completion of the Western States Endurance Run …

Therapist: So tell me your situation – what can I help you with today?

Me: Well, I spent most of the weekend running on trails up in the Sierras, and I’m pretty sore now.

Therapist: OK … so what are you, training for some kind of marathon or something?

Me: Um … yeah. Something like that.

And later, after the massage was over …

Therapist: You know, something happened during that massage that I took as a compliment.

Me: (immediately thinking to myself, “Oh crap – did it move?”) Really? What?

Therapist: You fell asleep during the massage. That tells me you feel very relaxed with me.

Me: Oh, right. You betcha.

I’m fully aware that in both of these exchanges, I could have taken an extra 30 seconds to explain my situation in a way that would have clarified things a bit better … but honestly, I just didn’t feel like it. It’s not that I ever mind talking about my running – but the thought of triggering another “Wow, you’re crazy!” discussion at a time when all I wanted was to chill out was more than I was looking to deal with. Sometimes, things are simply best left unexplained.

On the plus side, it was a nice massage - and I'm fairly certain that it DIDN'T move.

mindy 7/13/09, 8:15 PM

Some kind of marathon, some kind of monster...it's something like that, right? Even though I haven't done 100 miles, I can understand the desire to just chill and not have the whole "conversation" about your miles. Great idea for the massage - you do have an awesome wife!

Juls 7/13/09, 8:31 PM

OMG. I'm totally laughing out loud.

Jo Lynn 7/13/09, 8:31 PM

I am beginning to see that in the general population, there is a very small percentage that know anything about ultra-running.

I think you've made reference to it before, but sometimes it's easier to just keep your mouth shut and avoid further questions and accusations. ;)

jen 7/13/09, 8:37 PM

I bet that massage was nice! I know what you mean about explaining the running stuff. It's an amazing story though, but I can understand not wanting to get into it. Enjoy your continued recovery! :)

Cliff 7/13/09, 9:22 PM

Hehe..that's pretty funny :)

Thanks for the laugh!

Rick Gaston 7/13/09, 9:41 PM

I'm that same way most of the time. I'd rather not get into talking about ultras and such. My runner gave me a gift certificate to a massage place. Mighty nice of her, maybe I save it until a week after Headlands Hundred.

Mark 7/14/09, 5:05 AM

I fell off the couch laughing when I first saw that episode of Seinfeld! A 100 mile race is daunting to say the least, but it's enticing....

Anne 7/14/09, 5:29 AM

Probably a good thing you didn't also mention you fell asleep in your dentist's chair once too.

The Sean 7/14/09, 6:03 AM

that's the test... if it moves. Congrats on the big weekend!

RBR 7/14/09, 7:07 AM

For your information, you got me busted reading this since I snorted in laughter, while I was supposed to listening during my stupid, boring conference yesterday.

Thanks a lot. Now they are asking me questions

jeff 7/14/09, 8:56 AM

it's embarrassing when IT moves. even MORE embarrassing when the massage therapist is a guy.

not that i'd know or anything.

Stuart 7/14/09, 9:35 AM

Like Jo Lynn and Rick I now resort to just saying that I run a bit, life's almost too short to go into detail!

Alisa 7/14/09, 12:32 PM

Hahaha, one can hope, right?

Must be weird being a guy sometimes having to worry about those things =).

I love your response "something like that."

Darrell 7/14/09, 9:56 PM

I would think that falling asleep could be a very dangerous thing during a massage.

You need "Go read the blog" cards when you don't feel like fleshing out the story.

Dori 7/16/09, 10:42 AM

You're so funny!

Rainmaker 7/19/09, 11:15 AM

You must have a really nice casual massage. When I go to those ART massages I feel like I'm going to lose a limp or two.