June 18, 2009

Through a Child's Eyes

For the first time in the history of this website, I'm handing a post over to a guest blogger.

Technically, that statement may not be 100% accurate, since I'm still the one whose fingers are working the keyboard - but given the occasion of this weekend, I figured I'd turn to my 5-year-old daughter for some thoughts about Father's Day. The best part is, I didn't even have to ask her; her kindergarten teacher did the heavy lifting for me, resulting in a card that I received at the end of my daughter's school year last week.

The inside inscription reads:

My daddy's name is Donald. Sometimes I call him funny names. He has brown hair. He just got a haircut. He's taller than Mom. He looks good. My daddy is nice and fun. He likes to run, to get the exercise. I don't know why. When I'm in school he misses me and I misses him. He makes me happy. I like best to play with him and be with him. When I'm in his arms it feels good and happy. He loves me because I'm special. I am special. Thanks daddy for everything you have done. He's the best daddy. I love him.

Have a good weekend everybody. Remember to call your dad.

Dave 6/19/09, 5:46 AM

"If there's anyone out there who questions why having kids is the greatest experience in the world, what you read above is probably the best answer I can give. And if that still doesn't make sense ... I guess nothing else will."

Is there really anything I need to add...no...But I will...Parenting is harder than I thought it would be...and infinitely more rewarding than I could ever imagine. Happy Father's Day....

jen 6/19/09, 5:53 AM

That is so sweet I could cry. Happy Father's Day Donald! :)

Anne 6/19/09, 6:02 AM

Something tells me that card and images of your son riding through Fort Ord in search of bullets are the kind of memories that are going to carry you far at WS. Happy Father's Day, Donald!

Bill,  6/19/09, 6:20 AM

DB,

Your email to me last week read:

"I sense that you and I are in the same boat in many ways, trying to balance being a dedicated family man with chasing a passion and pushing the envelope of life’s experience."

I sensed it too and now, after this post, know it to be true. Mine are older than yours of course(high school and college now) and happily I saved all these little notes and letters from them as they grew up. Based on your daughters post, I'd say you are balancing things very well. Very well indeed. Happy Fathers Day bro and good luck next weekend. Have a great run - you've definitely earned it.

BC

Gretchen 6/19/09, 7:47 AM

I love these kinds of cards. Kids are awesome. Sounds like she's pretty stoked on her dad, too. Nice job. :)

Stuart 6/19/09, 8:57 AM

I got something similar from our 4 y/o, these are things to treasure!

craig 6/19/09, 9:25 AM

I always enjoy your posts that include the family. Enjoy these days. I'm set to walk my daughter down the aisle tomorrow. They pass all too soon.

Anonymous,  6/19/09, 9:28 AM

D -

Yep, you are doing it right! Maybe I was traveling too much when my youngest did this project in school because I recall the description "my dad is twelve feet tall and his favorite food is shrimp" (we never eat shrimp...)

- Brian

Jo Lynn 6/19/09, 10:34 AM

For just a weeeee little second there, I was wishing my daughter was 5 again.

I guess I should call my dad this year.

Have a happy day Sunday. ;)

triguyjt 6/19/09, 5:11 PM

ahhhhh that was very nice....
in one week you'll be exercising as your daughter said...good luck.
thanks for your kind words...
reaading your blog was one of the things that helped me get more and more into trails and then ultras... you always put lots of thought into what the keyboard process from your fingers...not to say little kids can't be great wordsmiths too!!!! Just like her daddy

Pete 6/20/09, 1:42 PM

Nice, Donald, very nice. (I know I am so glad that on Sunday, while I'm taking on IMCDA, I will have my son to think about and take my mind off the toil... all his great qualities, his quirks, the unconditional love we have for each other. Hard as it can be, being a parent *is* the best.)

Rick Gaston 6/21/09, 5:13 PM

Just had a great conversation with my Dad a couple of hours ago. Hope it's a good day for all the father's out there. When he's older he will understand how far you really run.

the Dread Pirate Rackham 6/22/09, 12:33 PM

happy father's day - your kids are awesome because you are an awesome dad!

Alisa 6/23/09, 12:24 PM

Oh my, so darling! Made me a little teary and I don't even have kids.

21stCenturyMom 6/24/09, 9:34 PM

My girls both wished me Happy Father's Day. I liked it.

They wished their Dad the same thing.

1010wellness 7/15/10, 4:14 AM

Hi Donald,

i just read your Father's Day Card. You are blessed my man! As a father of girls, you gotta check out a funny video:

1010 Chris