December 2, 2008

Pretty Is As Pretty Does

A couple of nights ago, while clicking through some post comments, I ended up finding a video of Sinead O’Connor on this post. Since I was recently nostalgic about Sinead, I clicked to play the song.

My 5-year-old daughter was sitting beside me, and approximately 30 seconds into the video, her 7-year-old sister stopped by, where we all had the following conversation:

7-year-old: Is that a girl?

Me: Yup. Her name’s Sinead.

7-year-old: But where’s her hair? Why does she have a buzz cut?

Me: That’s the way she wanted it, I guess. She’s still very pretty.

5-year-old: Yeah. I really like her singing.

The older daughter wasn’t quite convinced, so I dusted off my old I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got CD, and we listened to it during dinner. She didn’t say anything at the time - but the wheels are always turning in this girl, whether it’s apparent on the surface or not. So I wasn’t surprised by the conversation we had while I tucked her into bed later on:

Her: What was that girl’s name again?

Me: The singer? Sinead O’Connor.

Her: I like her songs. She has a nice voice.

Me: Yeah. Pretty isn’t all about hair, you know.

Her: I know.

Truthfully, she probably knew that before our impromptu lesson, but it was nice to hear her recognize the fact. Hopefully she’ll tuck that piece of knowledge away for the time being, and pull it out sometime when she’s having any hint of self-doubt.

In the meantime - since embedding videos is easy and I'm still feeling a bit nostalgic - here's Sinead's heartbreaking, yet incomparably pretty "Nothing Compares 2 U": (click to play)

(We'll get back to training stuff soon, I promise ... )

Anne 12/2/08, 5:07 AM

I remember the first time I saw her with hair after she grew it back and was startled that I liked her better bald. Glad your daughters share your taste in music.

triguyjt 12/2/08, 6:09 AM

I love those little conversations with the little smart kids...

cherish them..I know you will

Backofpack 12/2/08, 8:37 AM

I'm really liking her singing too! And, I like the buzz cut.

You've got thoughtful kids Donald, and that's a wonderful thing to carry into adulthood! Of course, with a Dad like you, it's no surprise.

Dave 12/2/08, 9:14 AM

More of a child of U2...greatest band of all time....also Irish..but I am rambling...which is partial title of this blog...which reminds me...

209Mike 12/2/08, 10:57 AM

Oh no, Donald! Weezer is going to be so dissapointed about this. Good story though.

angie's pink fuzzy 12/2/08, 11:14 AM

smart girl :) yup, pretty isn't just about hair. i should break out the old photos of the buzz cut i sported for a few years....

SLB 12/2/08, 12:21 PM

I keep having little conversations like this with my 4 y/o; precious moments!

IronMin 12/2/08, 6:28 PM

I'm a huge fan of Sinead as well...great story!

Rick Gaston 12/2/08, 8:22 PM

Nice story. It's amazing how the conversations get more complex as they get older, as they understand more things.

21stCenturyMom 12/2/08, 8:44 PM

The other day I was reminded that my girls both love the Beatles. That alone makes me feel like I did something right as a parent. Silly but true.

So - how do you your girls feel about Foo Fighters?

Collin Kromke 12/3/08, 8:01 AM

Loved this story, especially since I'm a bit of an audiophile myself and have two kids (8 and 10). I'm also a Sinead fan and enjoyed the video. Took me back to my younger days.