December 31, 2008

Even Better Than the Real Thing

Admin note: I’m still tinkering with the new template, so you’re getting a random quickie today for your viewing pleasure. Keep sending feedback as you see fit.

I’m reaching pretty far back into the video vault again today – but it’s a clip that represents one of my favorite developments from 2008.

Last summer, my son accompanied me to a showing of U2 3D at our local IMAX theater. It was his first taste of the rock concert experience (actually … in many ways, it was better than a real concert – but that’s a separate discussion), and a baptism of sorts into the vast community of U2 fandom.

He completely loved the movie, and I burned him a CD of the playlist from the concert. His favorite song was “Vertigo”, which he played in a repetitive loop for hours on end during the next several weeks (needless to say, my wife wasn’t thrilled about this development).

In my true audiophile (not to mention obsessive-compulsive) fashion, I made sure that several of the songs I included on his CD were live versions, as a reminder of the energy he saw on the big screen. Which led to the following exchange one day while we listened to the CD together:

Me: Hear all those people cheering? I’m one of them.

Son: What do you mean?

Me: This song was recorded at a concert a long time ago, when I lived in Colorado for a while. I was at the show that they recorded.

Him: Really?

Me: Yeah. It was awesome. They even
made a movie out of it.

Him: Cool.

Later, I showed him a couple of clips on YouTube - and just like that, my rock star cred with my son jumped about ten notches.

Since then, he has continued listening to his concert CD, and asked me to burn other U2 songs for him. He’s well on his way to becoming a full-fledged fan – and as silly as it sounds, I’m kind of proud of him for it. I know there are far more important parenting responsibilities to worry about in life – but if I can instill a bit of music appreciation in my kids, I’ll consider my job at least a partial success.

So here’s one of the songs that started it all for him, just as it started it all for me more than twenty-five years ago: U2’s "Sunday Bloody Sunday”, live at Red Rocks, under a blood red sky: (click to play)

And, in honor of the day, and to see how far the band has evolved in a quarter-century, here's another one: "New Year's Day", from the Vertigo Tour:

Happy New Year to all.

Thomas 12/31/08, 2:11 PM

Sunday Bloody Sunday is 25 years old and can still remember listening to it the first time!

I just realised that I'm old!!!

Jeff 12/31/08, 3:58 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff 12/31/08, 4:00 PM

Man, those guys rock - then and now!

Spokane Al 12/31/08, 5:57 PM

And the band is still made up of the original four guys - you can't say that about many bands. It is also nice to see in your last clip that they have not brought in back up musicians, horns etc - just the same four guys engaged in primal rock and roll.

don 12/31/08, 6:04 PM

And there was an earlier post that mentioned Sinead O'Connor. Is there a pattern here? Were you perhaps influenced by Irish bands?

Rainmaker 1/1/09, 8:10 AM

"you’re getting a random quickie today"

Really? I'm not sure if I want that actually.

Darrell 1/1/09, 12:10 PM

More good stuff to add to my new shuffle list. It's cool that your son appreciates the live aspect.

After watching the Rose Parade this morning I was thinking I needed to add some marching band stuff to the rotation.

Dave 1/1/09, 5:41 PM

Donald,
You already know how I feel about
U2...the greatest band of all time...Putting out great stuff for over 20 years. It was fun to look at the Red Rocks Concert clip and then the 2005 clip...Like wine and Ultrarunners, they have gotten better with age...don't you agree?

I have also taught my kids about the finer music in life...they even can ID U2 songs when they come on the radio.

Dave 1/1/09, 5:41 PM

Donald,
You already know how I feel about

Bruce 1/2/09, 1:07 AM

U2 played here about a year or two ago and I'm still gutted that I missed out on getting a ticket. Have to a agree with Dave they would have to be rated as one of the best all time bands.

Gretchen 1/5/09, 11:01 PM

oh, Sunday Bloody Sunday....such an amazing song. mmmmmmm.....!!