September 7, 2008

Pillars of Sand (Kahuna Update)

“I used to rule the world - seas would rise when I gave the word -
Now in the morning I sleep alone - sweep the streets I used to own …

One minute I held the key- next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand - upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand.”
- Coldplay, "Viva La Vida" (on sidebar – click to play)

Driving home from this race in 2006, after beating my best-case scenario time by nearly 10 minutes to finish in 4:51, I felt like the king of the world: there was no obstacle I couldn’t overcome; no limit to the possibilities that lay before me.

This year, the walls closed on me. I finished in 5:04, which isn’t nearly as bad as it could have been - but not as well as I was optimistically hoping, either. Although the outcome was fairly well expected, the feeling driving home this year was still a bit of a bummer.

So apparently all that training stuff makes a difference. More specifically – all of that NOT training makes a very noticeable difference. When it comes to tackling challenging races on minimal training, I’m obviously not Superman - and I definitely don’t rule the world.

Despite the outcome, I actually had a pretty enjoyable day at the race. I’ll have a full report posted here later this week; in the meantime, enjoy the Coldplay video and don’t feel at all badly for me. I'm living the life.

21stCenturyMom 9/7/08, 7:30 PM

You did not live our mantra, Donald. FUN! Hopefully in retrospect you'll find the fun in your day.

I was also bit let down by my race despite a 30+ minute PR. Go figure.

Anonymous,  9/7/08, 8:50 PM

Think about it this way: All that training two years ago only got you 13 minutes? That's less than 5%! I'd say your performance today proves that training is way over-rated.
Richard

RunBubbaRun 9/7/08, 10:08 PM

That's pretty fast in my book.. But I hear ya, I raced a tri this weekend and yes, lack of specific training, makes a difference.

Grrat job.

rick 9/7/08, 10:52 PM

Donald that's still pretty good considering all the ultra specific training that you've been doing. In that same 2006 race I crashed hard from my non tri specific training. Oof I can still remember feeling my lower back cramping hard on the run because I went too hard on the bike. Looking forward to the report.

triguyjt 9/8/08, 7:07 AM

look forward to your report

Annette 9/8/08, 7:19 AM

That time doesn't sound so bad. And, it sounds like you had a good time, so that counts for something. :) Looking forward to hearing the details.

Deene 9/8/08, 7:57 AM

i'm looking forward to your report. you did great on the amount on training you've posted.

Juls 9/8/08, 11:55 AM

I heard that it was pretty hot even in Santa Cruz. You did very well in my book too and isn't FUN why we do this crazy stuff anyway?!

Thomas 9/8/08, 12:17 PM

That's the problem with setting very high standards, Donald.

Anne 9/8/08, 8:15 PM

Are we forgetting the amazing performance you had at Headlands not so long ago? It sounds like you did an admirable job given all you've put your body through this summer.

Rainmaker 9/8/08, 10:07 PM

Dang dude, you did dominate my Kahuna time. Congrats and looking forwrad to the full write-up.

Rainmaker 9/8/08, 10:07 PM

Dave 9/19/08, 10:21 AM

You know how I know your gay? :) Love the blog, I know you've already posted a pre-emptive strike but couldn't resist. I love that line.