March 3, 2008

I Report, You Decide

I guess there’s no getting out of this one.

I’ve been tagged – not once, not twice, but three times - to tell you seven random things about myself. It seems like an interesting premise – until you consider the fact that I describe random stuff about me nearly every day on this here blog. I mean … random is more or less my M.O.

You already know that I’m a good igloo builder, that I frequently shave my legs, that I got hooked on Lost over the past year (on that note – I just realized that I’m an idiot for predicting Desmond in an earlier post. He wasn’t even on Oceanic 815. The lesson, again: never listen to me.), and that I have a crazy/sexy crush on Shakira. Those kind of tidbits just come with the territory around here.

I usually justify inclusion of the random stuff by crafting very tenuous applications to endurance sport training and racing. But today, I’ve decided to take this tag in a different direction: I’m listing random stuff that has absolutely no relevance to the world of triathlon.

Any one of these topics could be a full-length post in its own right – and to prove it (and to throw another wrinkle into today’s mix), I’ll pledge to do exactly that with one of them later this month.

Your job is to vote for which topic you want to read more about. I figure if I have to go through this tag thing, I’m dragging you all along with me. Think of it this way: at least you don’t have to pay text messaging rates like when you vote for a contestant on American Idol. And I won’t make you read through a separate results post that takes a full hour to tell you what can be said in three minutes.

Got it? OK then - pick something from the following list, and the item with the most comment votes gets its own piece. You could find out …

1. Why I consider myself a Christian, and I love rock music – but I can’t stand Christian rock music.

2. Why I made my 9-year-old son a mix CD last summer that includes a couple of songs with the F-bomb in them – and my somewhat defensible reason for doing so.

3. How Salinas, California became one of the most illiterate cities in America – and how it’s directly connected to the town’s mistreatment of John Steinbeck.

4. What my backup plan is for channeling my competitive nature in the event that I ever become a quadriplegic.

6. Why I had to bite my tongue multiple times to avoid making a scene in front of schoolchildren inside the Carmel Mission last month.

7. Why the Foo Fighters are the best rock band of the past decade – and why their story should be a mandatory part of elementary school education.

Actually, the more I consider that last one, I’m starting to think that I can work a triathlon angle into it – so I’ll go ahead and write that post someday. And I just made your job 1/7th easier, because now you only have a list of six to choose from.

So those are your options. It’s like one of those old Choose Your Own Adventure books, only in blog form. Comment or e-mail your preference, and let’s see what page we end up on next.

Curly Su 3/3/08, 4:52 AM

Steinbeck, Steinbeck!! (he's my favorite author; even if you don't post about him, you've gotta fill me in...)

Bullet 3/3/08, 6:19 AM

It's no mistery as to why 99.9% of Christians hate Christian Rock Music, so I vote for the comic strip story.

Karen in Calgary 3/3/08, 7:23 AM

Considering I attended every single Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith concert in Edmonton in the 80's and never progressed beyond that in Christian genres, I'll skip #1.

#3 - Had to read The Red Pony in school. It was most depressing. Please don't take me there again.

#4 is morbidly fascinating and I'd love to hear that one! Everyone needs a back-up plan.

If #5 involves Calvin & Hobbes, you've got some 'splainin' to do. Miss them. Otherwise, return my vote back to #4 please.

stronger 3/3/08, 7:28 AM

#2- mostly because my kids have picked up fbomb radar and every other bomb dropped on tv or in a song.

Paul 3/3/08, 8:14 AM

#2 Please. I'm going to have to deal with it soon enough.

Backofpack 3/3/08, 8:34 AM

Defender of good manners and fine language here. Explain #2, and include your wife's opinion!

the Dread Pirate Rackham 3/3/08, 9:01 AM

#5 and #6 are my favourite topcs du jour. I gotta know which comic strip you killed.

Laurie 3/3/08, 9:13 AM

I vote for 4 and 5. But I'm really hoping that you write about each one that at least one person expresses an interest in.

robtherunner 3/3/08, 9:24 AM

#2 in hopes that I will be able to use the defense for future purposes.

Cliff 3/3/08, 9:53 AM

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your post. Very encouraging :). I would like to hear how you cause the end of of your fav comic strips. Was it Peanuts??

Deene 3/3/08, 10:31 AM

#5

1 & 2 sound way too ordinary.

Kim 3/3/08, 12:18 PM

Being a Salinas gal, I'd love for you to share the Steinbeck history. You going to include how they closed the Steinbeck library a few years back too? :)

Anne 3/3/08, 12:31 PM

I vote for 1, 4 & 5 (and the last one, which you already admit you'll be including).

Patricio 3/3/08, 1:17 PM

My vote goes to:

PC

T Clarke 3/3/08, 2:17 PM

# 6. I passed a docent led walk during a trail race this last weekend while twenty of the participants were doing a trust walk with their eyes closed in the middle of the trail. I definitely wanted to make a scene.

I opted for disgruntled and quiet instead.

mindy 3/3/08, 4:58 PM

Please tell me you didn't kill Snoopy. All sound incredibly intriguing, but I'm going to have to go with #4.

Rainmaker 3/3/08, 6:16 PM

You have to pay text messaging rates when you vote for American Idol? Uh-oh.

#5.

21stCenturyMom 3/3/08, 6:32 PM

It's all excellent blog fodder, Donald. I can't imagine you won't lean on these topics at some point.

Having been on one of those field trips to a mission I'm very curious about #6 and of course, #5 which must have something to do with syndication, non?

Razorback 3/3/08, 8:09 PM

There are some comics I really miss everyday. If you are the cause of why I can't read them any more I want to know about it.

Darrell 3/3/08, 9:50 PM

#1 seems to easy, although I'm sure you could write up a good one on it. I'm casting a tie vote for Steinbeck or the f-bomds and the 9 year old. I'll be expecting the Foo Fighters one anyway, 'cause you promised. ;-)

Sarah 3/3/08, 10:34 PM

My vote goes to: 5. How I inadvertently contributed to the early demise of one of my favorite comic strips in the 1990s.

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) 3/3/08, 11:30 PM

I could vote, but I'd hope in time you cover all of them. I've thought of #4 or variations of this myself. I'd like a quick answer to which comic strip.

RunBubbaRun 3/4/08, 4:06 AM

I think my wife would like your take on LOST, your theories on the show, that would be her vote on a blog post..

That dying of a comic strip would be quite interesting, so that is my vote for #5.

Dana 3/4/08, 4:46 AM

I vote for #1. I'd love to know your take on Christian rock music.

jeff 3/4/08, 8:26 AM

i would have voted for foo, but since you're thinking of writing about it anyway, i'll vote for the comic.

speaking of foo, isn't it obvious now that dave was the creative genius behind nirvana?

Makita 3/4/08, 8:33 AM

#3 - Steinbeck is amongst the authors for my 888 Challenge so I'm curious! :)

triguyjt 3/4/08, 9:31 AM

per previous post. hope things are good with your sister.

now, per survey. #2 is intriguing to me. My filmaker son made a flick with several f-bombs in it. I initially winced, tried to gloss over the stuff when showing the movie to friends, family etc.
but for the life of me, I can't bring myself to showing my dad the flick, even though he is very hard of hearing and would likely miss the dialogue per se. very weird. db, all are good topics.
bang on that keyboard please sir.

jen 3/4/08, 10:25 AM

The comic one. :)

rick 3/4/08, 1:25 PM

Ah the choose your own adventure books, I always thought they should have made those thicker. My vote is for #3. Is Salinas really one of the most illiterate cities in America?

Annette 3/4/08, 1:44 PM

Can you actually take credit for bringing down a comic strip? I so want to hear about that one, so #5 is my vote.

As for #2, you know, you could've downloaded the radio edit versions of those songs!

angie's pink fuzzy 3/4/08, 6:29 PM

#4!

(altho I'm also intrigued about why my hometown is so illiterate...)

Addy 3/4/08, 8:50 PM

the teacher in me is voting for 3 and 6 :) (I love steinbeck, but, having just done tons of missions stuff, I gotta know 6!)

m 3/5/08, 8:22 AM

Ok. First time commenter. I'm interested in #2. Why? Because I have a 7 year old in the house singing "American Idiot" by Green Day. The explicit version mind you.

Comic strip....it couldn't be Calvin and Hobbs. I know why that ended. Though if you had anything to do with that.....

Phoenix 3/5/08, 9:01 AM

I vote for the nine year old and the fbomb. My son is eight. I need to plan ahead.

Dori 3/5/08, 10:28 PM

My vote is for #5, although I'd love to know what made you so mad at the Carmel Mission.

My Life & Running 5/14/08, 10:58 AM

I'm about 3 months too late on this one, but my vote would have been for #1 or #4. I'd love to hear about your path to Christ and some rants about Christian rock music (for the most part - I can't handle it either!). -T