October 14, 2007

2:38 AM

I frequently get insomnia after big races. My legs feel restless, my stomach cramps up, and my mind continually flashes back through the events of the day.

That's why, as my friends and I were driving home from Firetrails last night, we had this conversation:

Friend: I'll bet we sleep well tonight.

Me: I can only hope so.

But alas, it was not to be. So after tossing and turning for a couple of hours, I figured I may as well flip on the computer and report that I ran the Firetrails 50 in 8 hours, 45 minutes yesterday.

The race itself was great, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet; in some ways, I came home with more questions than answers about this crazy sport of ultrarunning. I'll start sorting all of those thoughts out soon, and hopefully post a coherent report here in the next 2 or 3 days.

In the meantime, I'm headed back to the bedroom soon, in hope that I can finally get some sleep.

Backofpack 10/14/07, 7:17 AM

Donald,
I have the same problem after a marathon. It's almost like you are too tired to sleep.

Congratulations on a great finish time!

robtherunner 10/14/07, 7:18 AM

Congratulations, Donald! I look forward to reading your report.

olga 10/14/07, 8:09 AM

Seems like this group is not the one that sleeps much after a race. I wrote a whole report after Bear 100 at 2 am:) You beat Rick there, huh! Was it really much slower this year? So, WS appl is going in? Oh, yeah, happy run, congratulation!

rick 10/14/07, 9:32 AM

I was chasing and chasing after the turnaround but the man in black was nowhere to be found. I got some sleep but woke up way too early. Spent a good time laughing in bed, thinking about the events from yesterday.

Darrell 10/14/07, 9:32 AM

Thank goodness I don't have that particular issue. I don't sleep well the night before, but the night after its lights out.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Firetrails.

21stCenturyMom 10/14/07, 10:43 AM

Congratulations on your race! Well done.

Thomas 10/14/07, 11:32 AM

Congratulations, awaiting race report with abated breath.

I can't say I have that particular problem, though!

matt 10/14/07, 12:47 PM

I am looking forward to your thoughtful insight on the sport after a contemplative period. I would expect nothing less from you. congratulations on a very solid finishing time once again.

Addy 10/14/07, 4:07 PM

Congrats! It was great to finally meet you, albeit briefly, on the trails. Amazing time :) Look forward to the full report!

Deene 10/15/07, 7:40 AM

hope you got some rest. I'm looking forward to your report.

Paul 10/15/07, 8:59 AM

congrats on the finish. I'm looking forward to the report.

miki 10/15/07, 9:44 AM

Was not sure what you looked like til your recent pic posts, so I missed you at Firetrails. I was sitting on Stream Trail in Redwoods taking down numbers. I'm sure you passed me.

But great time! And me too, I don't sleep well at all after a long race. It's kind of a bummer since I am really so tired.

Taryn 10/15/07, 9:57 AM

Wow! 8 hours & 45 minutes! You are one tough dude Donald! Can't wait for the report!

Zach 10/15/07, 10:35 AM

Congratulations! We came up and watched the finishers come in for a bit in the early afternoon. I saw that they were giving away wine glasses at the finish, but were they also giving away bottles of wine? That's what it looked like anyway.

Matt 10/15/07, 12:54 PM

Wow! Can't wait to hear the report. Giving you eight hours alone to think = great reading for the rest of us.

jen 10/15/07, 1:29 PM

Congrats Donald! Like Zach said, we were at the finish area for a while but it was early and we only saw the top 3 or 4 50 mile runners finish. It was a great post-race celebration though, and everyone seemed really supportive. I might be doing this one next year (the trail marathon not the 50, but who knows). Can't wait for the full report. Sorry we missed you, but great job! :)

Anne 10/16/07, 3:05 PM

I think running races really screws up our body chemistry. Anyway, looking forward to what has led to such a conflicted announcement. I mean 8 hours for 50 miles, Donald -- Come on!

Megan 10/19/07, 3:47 PM

Holy Mother of All Things Running!!! What a race! Sorry about the insomnia, but I wouldn't be able to sleep after a performance like that either!! Congrats!