May 15, 2007

Random Rambling

Today’s post will be a quick one – I’m really just procrastinating on a post I’m supposed to write for Matt's blog about a kinda-sorta triathlon from last weekend.

In the meantime, I’ve got a collection of random thoughts to throw your way. Starting with …

· You know what I haven’t done in a long time? A post of random thoughts! Remember when the Police got back together on stage and sang “Roxanne”, and we all got excited to hear an old classic, only to realize that the song doesn’t sound nearly as good anymore now that Sting can’t hit the high notes? Um … hopefully this post won’t be like that.

· I joined Team RaceAthlete this week. For the time being, they’re pretending to be thrilled to have me (they even posted my profile pic!). It’s a very comprehensive site dedicated to all things triathlon, with multiple contributors, and a sponsored team of athletes who will compete at Ironman Wisconsin later this year (I’m not in that group).

Anyway, the site is definitely worth a visit. If you like what you see and want to be part of it, feel free to sign up for the team as well. All you have to do is fill in your name, e-mail address, and describe your blog in a couple of sentences. As far as selection processes go, it’s not exactly Harvard Law School - but the course material is a lot more enjoyable.

· I can’t believe there are just over two weeks to go until the National Spelling Bee, and I haven’t realized it until now. That’s not nearly enough time for me to brush up on the entrants, see who my favorite competitors will be, and place a wager with my bookie. I knew that training for an Ironman would require some sacrifices like family time and weekend commitments, but if I realized ahead of time that I’d miss some of the buildup to the NSB, I might not have signed up for the race already. I know, you think I’m kidding - but trust me on this one.

For longtime readers - yes, I’m planning on another spelling bee diary this year. For newer readers - just understand that I go crazy for spelling bees. You can see for yourself at the end of the month.

· For about three years, one of my favorite questions to ask friends was, “Whatever happened to Linkin Park?” They were pioneers of the whole rock/rap movement, provided the soundtrack for roughly 1,000 of my workouts from 2000-2003, then virtually disappeared once that genre exploded with the countless copycat bands who dominate rock music today.

Until today, that is. After a four-year hiatus, Linkin Park is back with a new album. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. My only concern is whether my favorite band of this decade is still able to deliver the goods when it comes to cutting edge rock music. I’d hate to be disappointed after waiting for so long. (And yes, I can worry about almost anything. I’m gifted that way.)

· Finally, if you weren’t convinced that I’m one of the most stupidly competitive people around, consider this exchange that my 60-year-old friend Mike and I had while taking an easy trail run together this morning:

Mike: Are your kids doing the children’s races at the Heart and Sole Race this weekend? Two of my grandkids will be there doing the toddler race.

Me: Yeah – my son is doing the 5K, and my daughters are doing the kids races. How old are your grandkids?

Mike: They’re both 3 years old. How old is [my youngest daughter]?

Me: She’s three. You know what this means, right?

Mike: Yup.

Me: It’s on.

Leave it to a couple of runners to turn a toddler race at a neighborhood 5K into a battle for family honor. But that’s what’s going down on the streets of Salinas this Saturday.

My job now is to figure out how to motivate a three-year-old girl to race like she means business. I’m thinking she’s a little too young for me to play Eninem’s “Lose Yourself” for her bedtime music this week - which leaves me open to any other suggestions.

stronger 5/15/07, 3:02 PM

Thanks for obsessig so we don't have to ;)

Like the Linkin Park update.

Ice cream finish...

momo 5/15/07, 4:49 PM

did i ever mention i won my school spelling bee when i was in the sixth grade? the winning word was necessary. there were three of us left and we all missed it the first time around. i got another chance and spelled it correctly.

you'll never catch me spelling that one wrong again!

Matt 5/15/07, 8:12 PM

You're going to have to win me over on the NSB. I'll trust your judgement on this one. Thanks for the plug. Hope you can participate. It'll be good practice. Not that you need it with a HIM under your belt already!

jeff 5/16/07, 7:29 AM

this cracks me up. having met you, i can picture that exchange in my head and i know i'd have been laughing. you're a piece of work, donald. in the best way possible, of course!

and WOAH, nsb is here. i'd completely forgotten as well! i can't wait for your reports on it. i'll have to check local listings and plan to record it!

i'd suggest some rage against the machine for your daughter, but again, probably a little early to be introducing her to that sort of thing. heh how about the 'z' song from the seaseme street alphabet album?

"zippy zippy zebra zing zong zoo, but what else can a dizzy kind of zig zag letter do?"

my sister and i would run all around the living room as kids when that song came on. might just be the ticket!

Distance Running Dave 5/16/07, 10:56 AM

Great randomness! Too bad it seems you have to put yourself through extreme physical distress to get the juices flowing.

As an uncle, but not a parent I don't have a lot of childhood motivation experience, but it seems to me if you could make her think that she really needed to be still for the duration of the race that the childhood energy gene would go nuts.
Perhaps setting up a family picture at the start, or staging an important business related phone call would do the trick.

If that fails, is it too soon to teach her elbow and cut off technique?
The report on that race and NSB updates should have you blogging strong for the next few weeks. Will check back.

IM Able 5/16/07, 11:13 AM

Tie streamers to her ears and tell her to make them FLY IN THE WIND...but be sure she's pointed in the right direction, cause otherwise you have a whole new problem on your hands.

Did you hear that there may be a genetic component to the Hatfield/McCoys fued?

I'm just sayin...

Dori 5/16/07, 6:28 PM

Tsk, tsk. How about, "Free to Be...You and Me"
In this land, every girl grows to be her own woman
Take my hand, come with me where the children are free
Come with me, take my hand, and we'll run

Darrell 5/16/07, 9:02 PM

that reminds me of Cheaper by the Dozen at that family summer camp.

Here's hoping they run well and better yet, enjoy it.

Bolder 5/17/07, 5:52 AM

welcome to the Team!

can't wait to read about the NSB... i actually got kinda hooked on it the one year, where the top kid fainted... it was during the birth of reality TV i think, i may have to live vicariously through you this time round...

Phoenix 5/17/07, 10:33 AM

I vote for Free to Be You and Me - Ladies First!

And tell her if she doesn't come in first you'll still love her - but only if she beats your running buddy's grand daughter.

Great blog, BTW. Stronger sent me.

angie's pink fuzzy 5/17/07, 8:53 PM

ash prefers rage against the machine.

and linkin park's new one? yeah, not so good (imho)