March 29, 2006

Rainbow Runners

A couple of administrative notes before today's post: First, thanks to everybody who commented on yesterday's post. There was some very funny stuff there that gave me a smile.

Second, please head over to Stronger's blog and drop her a note of encouragement or support. She is going through a horrible time right now, and perhaps some kind words might give her a bit of comfort.

On with today's post...

It’s been difficult for my son and me to consistently find time for his 5K training. We’ve had a Seattle-like string of consecutive rainy days – not continuous, but something every day, usually in the afternoons when we normally run after school.

As I said before, I had been reluctant to venture out in the rain with him for our running, because I didn’t want to risk having it become a negative experience for him. So last week we had two cancellations before finally getting in a workout, and we were rained out on Monday afternoon as well.

Knowing that the rest of my afternoons this week were booked, Tuesday was kind of a “now or never” day. And when I arrived home, it was raining again. We were both resigned to the sad plight of missing our workout for the week.

And then the sky cleared somewhat. I called to my son: “Get your shoes on – hurry up!”

We laced up our shoes, started out the front door…and the rain started falling again. My son became disappointed, and I grew more frustrated.

Finally, determination took over. I told my son to go and put on his baseball cap. When he asked me why, I told him it was to keep the rain off his face, because we were going running. With a look of surprise, he went into the house to retrieve it.

He climbed into the car wearing both his cap and his baseball glove. When I asked what was up with the glove, he replied, “It’s so I can catch the cats and dogs.”

I mean,...that’s funny, right? The kid’s seven years old, and he came up with that on his own. I couldn’t help but crack up.

So there we were, preparing to run, with my son making a cleverly sarcastic joke and complaining about the weather. And it occurred to me that maybe he does take after me in some ways after all.

We went running through the drizzly, fading sunlight, and saw about five different
rainbows as the clouds shifted and light danced off the hills of Carmel Valley. We talked about his school day, his after school chess club, and his “she’s-not-really-my-girlfriend” girlfriend with whom he has a play date on Wednesday.

It wasn’t a negative experience for him. As for me, it was easily the best half-hour of my day.

5K Kid workout: 3x800m jogging, with last 50m of each one fast. 200m walking after each interval. Total distance 3000m.

backofpack 3/29/06, 11:29 AM

Kids usually like going out and messing around in the rain. Oh, wait! Maybe that's only Washington kids - because they won't get out much if they don't go out in the rain!

Sounds like you two had a great time, wet and all. Tell him "way to go!" from fellow runners.

Susan 3/29/06, 11:39 AM

This “she’s-not-really-my-girlfriend” girlfriend, cracks me up - kids are the best.

Kim 3/29/06, 12:19 PM

Oh that is so sweet. I read an article a couple of issues back in Runner's World about a father who had an opportunity to run with his daughter every once in a while...and how for that short time...they forgot they were father/daughter...and just shared. I hope to have that with my kids.

On the girlfriend note...I had to do a unscheduled load of laundry last night because my son's "she's-not-really-my-girlfriend" girlfriend told him he looked nice in it (in his school pics). He HAD to wear the shirt today. Too funny.

robtherunner 3/29/06, 5:50 PM

Sounds like your son has a good sense of humor. I hope to get my kids out running with me someday as well. They do like to go to the track with the running group, or at least the one time I brought them they did.

Downhillnut 3/29/06, 8:38 PM

Yup, my son has had those kinds of girlfriends too - cute.

GREAT that a) you braved the rain together and b) it turned out. Even when the weather sucks, it can be a bonding experience conquering it with someone.

It's neat when we realize that we don't have to protect our kids' enthusiasm as much as we thought we would have to.

And besides, training without weather runs wouldn't be covering all the bases - what if it rains on race day?

matt 3/29/06, 10:24 PM

how old was your son when he first started going out with you? i can't wait for the day when my son is ready to hit the trails with me. your experience out there with him and the humor you shared together put a big smile on my face.

Darrell 3/29/06, 11:57 PM

What an awesome run. Determination and a good attitude led to a great time together. How cool is that. The baseball glove, who'd have thought of that? Funny stuff kids can come up with.

BuckeyeRunner 3/30/06, 4:18 AM

What a great story. It is so important for kids to be active and involved in sport, and it's so much easier when they are able to share the experience with active and involved parents!

angie's pink fuzzy 3/30/06, 6:03 PM

I think it's great that you are training with your kid!!

And I love his joke. Ash, at three years old, is starting to show some sense of humor. His nana recently taught him that he has eyes like his mama. So he says to me, "I have your eyes. You have my eyes." He pauses, then says, "Can I have my eyes back please?" His favorite saying that has come out of this whole we have each others' features thing, is "I have your nose. You have my yesses!"