March 28, 2006

Hypothetical Questions

Let’s say, hypothetically, that you’ve been assigned to work in a new office, sharing your space with two other people you don’t know, separated only by 4’ cubicle dividers.

Let’s say that when you asked to borrow a Sharpie, you were told to put in a requisition request so that you don’t drain money from someone else’s budget. Again, hypothetically.

Let’s say that you got a raised-eyebrow look when you dropped your discarded banana peel in your office mate’s trash can, since you hadn’t been assigned your own receptacle yet.

Let’s also say, hypothetically, that you are a runner who likes to exercise at lunch time.

How long should you respectfully wait until you start bringing a gym bag stuffed with sweaty, possibly smelly workout clothes back into the new office?

And finally, how long would you wait before playing the Fall Out Boy and Green Day files on your computer to combat the sound of billing collections being conducted over the telephone in the adjacent cubicle?

I’ve been wondering these things today.

(You know, hypothetically...)

Dirt Runner 3/28/06, 1:38 PM

There's no time like the present, I'd start now! I would also place a name tag on my new trash can and it's name would be Sharpie with it's own welcome mat that read "banana peels welcomed." But that's just me!

Stacey Teague 3/28/06, 2:18 PM

Start now....then there won't be "change". Oh, and hypothetically, keep putting stuff in other people's trash cans...I mean, why not?? Hypothetically that is....

Anne 3/28/06, 3:08 PM

Start the Fall Out Boy music immediately. Maybe with or without earplugs, depending on how many Sharpies and banana peels it takes before everthing goes to pot anyway. Then the smelly gym bag will just be the icing on the cake.

DREW 3/28/06, 3:55 PM

Casually drop your smelly bag in one of the OTHER cubicles with a quick, "I'll grab this in a sec, I've gotta quick meeting."

Keep doing this.

They'll quickly beg you to keep it in your own cube.

susie 3/28/06, 4:03 PM

Hmmm, about 30 seconds, I'd say.

Geek Girl 3/28/06, 6:21 PM

Can you wear earphones at work? Maybe just one? Hypothetically.

Darrell 3/28/06, 9:45 PM

A Sharpie saved is a Sharpie earned. It'll make a huge differnce in next quarters profit sharing check, theoretically. ; ) I guess these folks didn't exactly roll out the welcome mat, hypothetically, or not.

backofpack 3/29/06, 8:20 AM

Hypothetically, a lunchtime runner should come in from a run, pop off the shoes, hoist the sweaty foot up on to the neighbors desk for some hamstring stretching while chatting with said neighbor. Maybe plop the sweaty butt down in the guest chair, too.

BuckeyeRunner 3/30/06, 4:21 AM

Heh, heh...I like DirtRunner's suggestion...

jeff 4/5/06, 8:00 AM

ugh. things were that tight at my last job, so i understand. fortunately, my cubemates were awesome to work with. i think doing things over the top with a huge smile (like backofpack said) is the way to go.

and the music? i'd say wear headphones, but sing out loud.