February 16, 2006

Winter Wimp

For conclusive evidence that this California boy wouldn’t last one season in a serious winter climate, read on…

My wife has spent the past few days refinishing an old dresser, using our carport as her outdoor workspace. I’ve parked my car outside on the driveway since the beginning of the week.

These would normally be unremarkable developments, except for the fact that the temperature dropped to 29 degrees last night. I climbed into my car at 4:45 this morning and stared dumbfounded at the strange white stuff on my windshield. When my wiper blades failed to clear it off, I knew I had a problem on my hands.

I turned on the engine and cranked the defroster, then got out of the car and entered the storage area under our house. I was looking for one of those, uhh, thingies that I’ve seen people on television shows use to scrape ice off their windshields.

It took me almost five minutes to conclude that since I haven’t ever used a scraper in the ten years that I’ve lived here, the odds of my finding one amongst the tools underneath my house were pretty slim - especially if you’ve seen the way I store my tools.

Time for plan B. I tore apart one side of a Kashi cereal box, took the cardboard outside to the car, and started scraping off the windshield (MacGyver would be proud). It wasn’t until I climbed back into the car with icy fingers that I realized the back windshield was also iced over.

Since I had to back out of our curved, sloping driveway in the dark I figured it would behoove me to be able to see out the back window. I climbed back out, scraped some more, and froze the fingers on my other hand before getting back in the car.

About fifteen minutes had passed since I first came outside. I arrived a little bit late for our group’s workout and had to cut a mile off of my warmup, so I only got to run 12 miles this morning instead of thirteen.

God, I hate winter.

backofpack 2/16/06, 4:34 PM

The best part of being a grown up is that I get the garage. The teenagers have to park outside and scrape windows! Yay! My husband doesn't have to scrape any windows, but he does have to hop on a bike and ride to the train station in the freezing cold. Or in the pouring rain. He's looking forward to summer! (That's after he's already gone out for a run in it!)

robtherunner 2/16/06, 5:02 PM

So does this mean you are going to go buy one of those scraping thingies to store in your garage?

olga 2/16/06, 6:33 PM

You know, you could also just crank the heat blower into the window, and it would take the same 15 min and no finger damage:) That how I lived in NY for 11 years, and no garage.
Nice work on 12 miles!

angie's pink fuzzy 2/16/06, 7:24 PM

credit cards work really well as scrapers too :)

Downhillnut 2/17/06, 12:00 PM

Angie beat me to the credit/plastic card thing, but I gotta say your cardboard was a great idea.

You don't have rear defrost wires in your window?

In Calgary the scraper thingie and fleece blankets live IN the car year 'round. Not worth not having 'em.

If you take water or Gatorade on your long runs, try it WARM on frosty days. It helps.

BuckeyeRunner 2/18/06, 4:47 AM

Hehehe. That's funny. Like Karen, I have a scraper thingy and fleece blanket in my car at all times. As well as bottled water and a jar of peanut butter.

Do I watch too much Discovery Channel, or what?

BuckeyeRunner 2/18/06, 4:47 AM

Do I watch too much Discovery Channel, or what?

Kim 2/20/06, 1:55 PM

I'm so there with you...having grown up in Salinas...and now in HMB...this ice on my windsheild thing...it's for the birds. I had to run with gloves on the other day! Gloves! I admit, I don't like to be cold...but I'm so not digging this cold front.